Ozark Pudding Cake
A simple cake you can bake in your delivita oven using apples and almonds.
SHARE THIS RECIPE
* 2 large ripe apples, peeled, cored and finely sliced
* 135g plain flour
* 1tsp baking powder
* 1tsp ground ginger
* Large pinch of salt
* 70g soft unsalted butter
* 150g caster sugar plus 1 tsp for sprinkling on top
* 1 large egg
* 55g flaked almonds
* 1tsp vanilla extract
*1 25cm cast iron skillet or oven proof pan
- Light oven, after 15 minutes push the fire to the back of the oven,
don¹t feed it again - wait another 30 minutes before putting your cake in.
- After lighting the oven, finely chop one of the apples into small
pieces, and slice the other vertically into thin slices. Sift the flour,
baking powder, ginger and salt into a bowl.
- In another bowl whisk together the butter and sugar until it resembles
wet sand. Add in the egg and vanilla and blend until light and fluffy.
Then add the flour in and mix until blended into a stiff batter. Fold in
the one chopped apple and half the almonds.
- Grease the cast iron skillet with butter then pour in the mixture.Lay the
finely sliced apply on top in circular patterns and sprinkle the rest of
the almonds and the teaspoon of sugar.
- Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes, then remove the foil and bake
for another 20, until the cake is golden.
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.