Overnight Leek and Shallot Puree
by Tony Singh MBE
'This fresh and simple dish is a great way to use the heat left in the oven after a pizza session.
Make this dish at same time as the pizza feast and pop in the oven at the end.'
SHARE THIS RECIPE
- 1 lb. peeled shallots, and left whole
- 1 lb. leeks washed and cut into same length as shallots
- 150g garlic cloves peeled
- 500 ml Cold Pressed rapeseed oil
- 6 sprigs of Thyme
- 3 sprigs of Rosemary
- 3 bay leaf
- Maldon salt
- freshly ground Malabar black pepper
- In a shallow oven proof dish about 9-by-13-inch, toss the shallots and leeks with the oil, thyme, rosemary and garlic seasoning with salt and the pepper.
- Cover with Greaseproof paper and double layer of thick tin foil, make sure it is fully sealed as the steam created by the heat will help the shallots and leeks cook, stay moist and not dry out or burn.
- Then place deep into the oven making sure it is not touching the embers of the wood but beside it.
- Pop on the oven door and leave till the morning
- Take out of the oven and open the covering and discard.
- Pick out the stalks of the herbs, the bay leaves and then puree in a blender, check the seasoning and use cold as a dip or hot as a sauce or a side dish.
- Cover with cling film and refrigerate the purée for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 1 month.