by Ben Merrington
"Spice things up at breakfast time with this classic Mexican inspired dish."
SHARE THIS RECIPE
A splash of oil
½ White onion
1 Garlic clove, crushed
2 tsp Mexican seasoning
1 tbsp Tomato purée
2 Cans (400g) chopped tomatoes or 1 litre passata
4 large free-range eggs
Small bunch of fresh coriander, chopped
Small handful of crumbled feta cheese
1 jalapeño chilli, finely sliced
8 Tortillas, wrapped in foil and warmed in the oven for 5–10 minutes
1. Set your Wood Oven to nice roasting temperature of around 160-200°C.
2. Add the oil, onion and garlic to a frying pan and fry gently. Don’t let the garlic brown or it will go bitter.
3. Stir in the Mexican seasoning and tomato purée and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring every now and then.
4. Using the back of a dessert spoon, make four wells in the sauce and carefully crack an egg into each.
5. Slide back into the oven for another 4–5 minutes until the eggs are cooked but the yolks remain runny.
6. Sprinkle with the coriander, feta and chilli.
7. Serve with the warmed tortillas.